What is it?
This is a non-competitive festival, where children ensembles have the opportunity to perform for one another. Classroom groups, recorder, choir, dance or Orff Ensembles that in some way reflect the Orff philosophy are all invited! Ensembles of all ages, sizes, types and experience levels are welcome.
Performance Date: Thursday, May 4, 2017 – 10am-12pm
Application Deadline: Thursday, April 6, 2017
Click here for 2017 Children’s Orff Festival Application
Festival Location: Royal Conservatory of Music – 273 Bloor Street West
What are the criteria for performing groups?
- The teacher/leader of the ensemble must be an active member of Carl Orff Canada in the current year. For more information on becoming a member, see Membership.
- Performances should reflect the Orff philosophy in terms of combinations of at least two elements – speech, singing, movement, the use of instrumentation, providing the opportunity for student input for creative expression, and/or providing the opportunity for improvisation.
- Typically 4 to 6 groups perform at the festival. This is done to ensure that the festival is kept to a reasonable length of time. In the event that more groups apply to the festival, the following selection criteria are used to choose the groups that will participate:
- Performances that best reflect the Orff Philosophy as stated above (as reflected in the description you provide of your programme on your application).
- To accomodate all of the performers, the size of the group may possibly be a factor, depending on the size of the theatre.
- Groups should represent the various school boards in the area.
- An attempt will be made to create a programme with a variety of ages and repertoire.
- Priority will be given to the schools/directors that were turned away the previous year, as well as groups who have not participated before, or in a long time.